Monday, July 2

Hit by a car?!?

I just read this interesting,
fairly inspiring story about Norman Aronberg who at 74 is about to run his last race.

Why is his road racing career coming to an end? Hip replacement surgery.

Is this proof that running will take its toll on the body after so many years. Not exactly. Here's an excerpt from the story:

The hip problem can probably be traced back to the Hyannis marathon in 1995, when he was struck by a car driven by an 87-year-old woman in the 16th mile. Both his legs were broken, along with four ribs.

He was in a wheelchair for six months, but came back to run both the Los Angeles marathon and the 100th Boston Marathon the following year. He has run 21 marathons in all and was a member of the National Guard marathon team from 1986 to 1989.

His last marathon was in Boston (which he ran five times) in 1998.


I was shocked how non-chalantly the writer mentioned getting hit by a car!

Anyhow, Norman's got one last race to run and he's going to finish it and then have surgery a couple of weeks later.

What will be his time in the race? "I don't know how long it's going to take me, but I'll finish it if I have to crawl in," he said.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stumbled onto your sight. Surprised to see my name. Heavy duty problem was not my hip but my symptons of Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD). Really does a job on your calves. You can't generate any speed just pain. I finished the race in 1 hour 21 minutes 31 seconds. A far cry from my PR of 34:45. You can see my Marathon site at.
www.webshots.com (type in search)
pogomail4you this will take you to my photos. Hate to end my running but my bad hip gives me no choice.My running Moto is: IF IT'S TO BE IT'S UP TO ME.
I will never forget the guy who was at the East Lyme Connecticut Marathon in 1990. He couldn't run anymore and with tears in his eyes he said to us runners before the gun went off "RUN THIS ONE FOR ME". I now know how he felt inside.
Norman Aronberg

July 06, 2007 7:01 pm  
Blogger bl said...

Congrats on a great running career.

It's good to be able to end it on your own terms.

July 06, 2007 7:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home