Thursday, June 28

My Second 5K

You may just wake up one Saturday morning and decide it will be fun to run a 5K race. Not me. A 5K is not a leisurely morning stroll for me. It is quite a BIG deal. So big that I debated about it before signing up. And I signed up three weeks before the race.

Yes, I will run the "Girls Just Wanna Run" race on July 21 at Phelps Grove Park (Favorable factors include a course two blocks away from my home and no guys running), and I plan to train for this 5K. My goal is to beat my previous time, but I think if I run just as fast (or as slow), it'll be just fine because the weather conditions will be harsher.

And I DO need some advice. Since my first two miles usually are miserable, should I run some distance before the race?

4 Comments:

Blogger MS said...

Hmm. Depends on what you mean by "miserable" - as in, you feel miserable, or your times are miserable?

Your longest long runs are still fairly short, so I wouldn't go crazy and run 2 or 3 miles before the 5K if I were you. I was reading BL's posts about shakeout runs earlier, which would probably be a good idea...but somehow I don't see you getting up at 4:30 AM either. ;)

June 28, 2007 5:09 pm  
Blogger bl said...

5Ks for us definitely aren't a walk in the park. Sometimes you're courting a wee little bit of misery.

Maybe the question is, what's going wrong with the final 1.1 miles of the race? Are you easing up there instead of putting the throttle down? OK. I'm only partially joking there.

But seriously, do a good warm-up before the race. With this race, jog across the park to the starting line. Do some light stretches. You want your heart rate elevated a little bit before the race starts so that you're not still completely just waking up.

It also might help to have a little tea or coffee before the start of the race to make sure you're wide awake.

June 29, 2007 11:42 am  
Blogger Jim Evans said...

Run 1/2 mile to warm up for a 5K. Finish the warm up about 15 minutes before the start. Run the first quarter of the haly at training pace and the last quarter at 5K race pace. Bounce, walk and stretch (very lightly0 until the gun.

June 30, 2007 5:13 pm  
Blogger bl said...

Congrats again on your 6-mile run. As your long runs get longer, the 5Ks will get shorter.

Or at least, they'll seem shorter.

July 02, 2007 7:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home