Sunday, June 10

Talky runner

The faster that I, RS, become, the more I start talking to myself during races. Out loud.

I'll often whisper, "come on, come on," during the final minutes of a race. If I'm really gunning it halfway through, I'll whisper, "slow down, slow down," although my body doesn't obey. I might whimper, "Aw, man," when I encounter a steep hill (one I have yet to make friends with).

I hope this isn't disturbing other runners. Does anyone find this inappropriate behavior?

I fear I'm approaching racing like I approach roller coasters. As a kid I was scared of roller coasters. When I became a Six Flags Over Texas ride operator as a teenager, I had to ride roller coasters as part of my job. The only way I can get through a roller coaster ride is by screaming. Before, during and after the ride. It gives me something to do with my fear and anxiety.

I guess my point is that it is difficult to run hard and fast in a calm and quiet fashion.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's fine. The only thing I can imagine that might bother other runners is if you're chatter is quite loud. Then they might think you're trying to talk to them, and runners don't especially like to be jolted out of their zone of concentration by conversation--unless they're Galloweenying it! : )

I talk to myself when I'm walking the dog. Thankfully she is a forgiving soul and doesn't seem to mind...

June 10, 2007 12:27 pm  
Blogger bl said...

My first thought when reading this was that if you're talking to yourself, perhaps you're not running hard enough. Ha!

And it doesn't really matter what other runners think. If they can't concentrate enough to block you out, then they're not focused enough.

Remember the hill at the end of the Day at the Ballpark 5K? When I ran the course loop to train, that hill made me salivate. I said, "right here, right now" a couple of times and really started to sprint the hill. I don't know where that phrase came from but it seemed to fit.

In the race, there was a runner in front of me who didn't belong there. So I said that phrase a couple of times and sprinted past him. At the top of the hill I was slowing down and trying to figure out where the finish line was. That runner I'd passed was catching up to where I could see him out of the corner of my eye. At that point I kicked it into gear again and don't remember if I said anything out loud or not. I can't remember what it was.

Anyhow, don't worry about whispering a little mantra to yourself. I think it's a good way to stay focused.

June 10, 2007 3:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home