Sunday, June 10

Bad Squirrel Run

The streak for me, RS, died yesterday in Marionville MO. I failed to get a 5K PR for the fourth consecutive weekend at the second annual Running of the Squirrels. My time was 24:20.
I'm not sure what went wrong. I thought I had really gunned it.

My friend Mark, a two-time Boston Marathon qualifier who finished in 19 minutes, kindly waited five minutes to cheer me on as I approached the finish line. When it was in sight, I heard him yell: "Two women are behind you. Start sprinting!"

I never look behind me during races, and you might as well have told me that Osama bin Laden was behind me. Or Paris Hilton. Although I doubt either one of them are good runners.
I pumped my legs like crazy those last seconds.

Next weekend I have a modest goal of trying to beat my 8K PR of 44:29 at Wimpy's Double. The old PR was set at an inexplicably snowy April Panera Bread run, so it will be interesting to see if warmer weather gives me a few less seconds.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a pretty impressive sprint to the finish line; you were really working it hard the last 30 yards or so.

I'm usually too out of gas to do anything other than cross the finish line. Case in point: yesterday I was three steps behind some guy for the whole last mile, and even though I don't think he picked up the pace at the end, I still couldn't catch him.

I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad thing that I don't have enough left in the tank for a finishing sprint at these races.

June 10, 2007 10:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home