Saturday, June 2

Where am I?

I, RS, have some obvious but important advice for Poetic Feet readers. Know your directions.

I ran a 5K called Maple Ridge in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on Memorial Day. Since I know my way around Tulsa like I know my way around Thailand, I carefully plotted my way to the 25th Street start line on the Internet.

The race was great. It had beautiful weather and went through an attractive, affluent neighborhood. I had a decent time (by RS standards) of 25:43. There were hills on the course, but that was no problem. RS makes friends with hills.

As I enjoyed my post-race chocolate bagel (Homer Simpson voice: Mmm ... chocolate bagel ...), I had a moment of panic. The finish line was different from the start. I had no clue where I was. Well, I knew I was on Owasso Street, but where the heck was that?
After wandering for what seemed like a half-marathon, I discovered the start was actually close to the finish. Maple Ridge has so many diagonal streets it seems like a labyrinth.

During my quest to exit the neighborhood, I heard the race director calling to departing runners: "Wait! Don't go! We have door prizes. And they are really nice door prizes!" I shrugged and thought, well, it is a rich neighborhood. Maybe they will give away a Bentley.
For the next several minutes I watched race volunteers distribute QuikTrip mugs. And no, I didn't win one.

3 Comments:

Blogger bl said...

This confused the heck out of me at the beginning because I have two posters who could legitimately refer to themselves as RS.

And I didn't know that either one was in Tulsa for Memorial Day but wouldn't have been shocked regardless of who the author was.

June 03, 2007 12:13 pm  
Blogger rslight said...

Yeah, it was a deliberate attempt to confuse you (chuckle).

June 03, 2007 6:09 pm  
Blogger Jim Evans said...

I have lost my way during a race a few times but never after the race.

June 03, 2007 8:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home