Sunday, June 10

The Power of Believing

I just finished reading a a fascinating story headlined "The Power of Believing." It's probably about as well written as anything you'll find in The Winfield Daily Courier.

It's about Michelle Adler, a woman from Winfield, Kansas who was trying to qualify for the Boston Marathon. It really picked up when the writer describes Adler trying to keep going after hitting the wall. Not to mention the mysterious lady in blue.

Here's an excerpt:
"Mentally, I tried to run faster, but it didn't feel like I was going faster," Michelle said. At mile 25, she realized she had only about 9 minutes to finish the last 1.2 miles.

"In my mind, I thought, 'I can't do it,' and I don't remember saying it out loud," said Michelle, "but I must have." Suddenly a lady in blue ran up along side her and asked, "What are you trying to do?"

Michelle answered her, "Qualify for Boston. I need 3:45."

The lady replied, "You can do it, but you need to run faster."

"I'm sure I got this shocked look on my face, or maybe really irritated because I felt it was obvious I was giving everything I had," said Michelle. But she kept running.

According to Michelle, a few minutes later, the same lady appeared beside her again and said, "You can make it, but you must run faster, NOW!"

"Something kind of clicked at that point," said Michelle. "I made a mental choice to try to run harder and faster, to give it everything, even if I missed qualifying by only few seconds."


So did she run fast enough? Click here to find out.

2 Comments:

Blogger middleclasstool said...

This is a great story.

Nice of those Boston folks to give you those extra 59 seconds. It'll sure come in handy when I never qualify ever.

Hey, do you have an RSS feed link to this blog? I never think to check in because I always check my friends' blogs via RSS these days.

June 11, 2007 9:23 am  
Blogger bl said...

Thanks for the comment.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to add an RSS feed link. I'll do some tinkering when I get some free time and see what I can figure out.

I keep checking your blog the old-fashioned way (??) but no news. I suppose that must be good news.

But I do have trouble counting nine and remember when I'm supposed to start counting from.

That due date is anyday now, isn't it?

June 11, 2007 10:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home