Tuesday, January 3

Mind Gym

In the last two weeks of 2005, I read two books about training for a marathon: Marathon! by Jeff Galloway and Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham and Jenny Hadfield.

They were and I'll say definitely the next best thing to running when stuck in an airport or on a plane.

Now, however, I'm reading a book that's much better. I recommend it to you.

It's called Mind Gym by Gary Mack .

At times, it reads like some Oprah/Dr. Phil self-help book. And it seems to have lots of sports cliches near the end of each chapter. You know, like: "People who succeed aren't afraid to fail. Failure can be a better teacher than winning."

Hokey, right?

But there are some pretty good chapters as well.

The best so far has been the chapter on sex, drugs and partying. The title in the book is "fatal distractions." This is something I've been thinking about for quite a bit. I read a lot in that chapter about people who put sports and training above partying and supposedly having a good time. It makes a lot of sense to me.

And that chapter ended with Knute Rockne's rule: Drink the first, sip the second, refuse the third.

I'll probably start rereading this book as soon as I finish it. Look for more info.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home