Saturday, December 31

Happy New Year! And a toast to the joy of living!

I like parties. I like throwing parties and I like going to parties.

Today is New Year's Eve and I'm just not in a partying mood.

2005 was a fun year and I went to some OK parties. But I also found that almost always, the idea of going out and partying is more fun than the party itself. Smoky rooms and drunk people just aren't for me.

I like to drink. I do. I like margaritas and beer and wine and champagne. I like some mixed drinks or I suppose I could try them. I've got about a half dozen shot glasses in my cubbard. I'm a vodka drinker.

Hmm. Maybe I've just been around the wrong drunk people. Sometimes I feel like I really don't fit in where I am. Sigh. I remember the last conversation I had with a drunk woman. You're reading this on your computer screen so you can't see me shaking my head.

What's the point of this rambling post? All things in moderation? Well, I suppose. But no. Let me be clear. I don't want to drink crappy beer or cheap wine or, even worse, cheap tequila in moderation. It's the cheap stuff that gives you the really bad hangovers.

No. God made wine so that we would drink it and enjoy. Always remember Jesus' first miracle was turning water into wine.

But I digress.

The day when I ran the St. Jude Half-Marathon was one of the best days of my life. I just wish I had trained harder.

I guess the point of this post could be summed in almost bumper sticker like fashion. MY worst day running was better than my best day partying.

As long as I don't get injured, that's pretty much true. Oh, I can think of some good parties. Especially in graduate school. And then there was the party in Atlanta where I met Helga. And going out to a karaoke bar and singing is a lot of fun, I admit.

I don't know. At this stage in my life, running is a lot more fun than partying. I wish I'd been invited to more parties when I was in high school or as an undergraduate. But, hey that's life.

So I may not ring in the new year in the most festive way when the clock strikes 12 this morning. But I'm planning on going for a 10-mile run on New Year's Day. That will be a good way to get things rolling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home