Sunday, January 1

No sir!

Well, I put in my New Year's Day 10-mile run.

It was a beautiful day. The temperature must have been near 70. It was wonderful.

At one point I was running down Weller Street and after exchanging hellos a man wearing a Drury University hat said, "You're not going to run like that all year are you?"

In response I held my hands out from my body and shrugged. It's the sort of thing where I had absolutely no idea what the question was supposed to mean.

Thus the shrug, international sign for: I don't know. I don't know how to respond to that. What the hell sort of question is that?

I mean was he saying that there was something wrong with the way I was running.

Anyhow, I had a Big Smith song running through my head for most of the 2 hours I was out there running. I'd heard it once in concert but something about where I was standing in the back of the Outland Ballroom, all I really remember was the chorus: "No sir, no sir. Something something sir. No sir, no sir." And then you repeat that a couple of times.

Now, I'd only heard that song once and I had no idea what the lyrics are. And on its face, the words, "no sir, no sir, something something sir" aren't but so inspirational. I mean, it was an anthem in concert and everybody in the crowd - well not everybody, I'd have to count out the people who were smoking or doing their own thing, but lots of people - were chanting the chorus and stomping their feet.

But what was that song about. Why were the words "no sir" running through my head as I was running. How could I make this work?

That's where the right brain creativity that is unleashed during a run comes in.

The song going through my head became: "No sir, no sir! Don't turn back, sir."
Alternating with: "No sir, no sir! Don't stop now, sir!"

So I got back home and decided to see if the lyrics were on the internet anywhere. Yes.

Now I've found the lyrics. But unfortunately, I'm too tired to figure out what the song is about. And the chorus isn't quite "No sir, No sir, Something something sir."
It's just, "No sir."

Go figure. I'm sure Jody will explain everything.

Anyhow, the next time someone asks me if I'll be running "like that" all year, maybe I'll just answer "No sir, no sir. I'll be running faster and better later on in the year."

4 Comments:

Blogger R said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

and thanks for the gift!!

[clmam] clam, bam, thank you ma'am.

January 02, 2006 7:31 pm  
Blogger bl said...

You're most welcome. I'm glad you like the gift.

January 02, 2006 10:05 pm  
Blogger Jody Bilyeu said...

You remembered right. At one point in the song Mark sings, "No sir, no sir, let me go, sir."

I'll bet the dude thought you were running because of a new year's resolution. He had no notion of the actual depth of your actual resolution.

As the Poles used to cry as they charged into battle, "rszjiii!"

January 02, 2006 10:52 pm  
Blogger R said...

argh... I was going to call you tonight but spent too much time on the phone with my sister. Discussing, among other things, my theories of heaven and hell.

What is your theory of heaven? What could be better than running? What could be good forever?

And wow. 10 miles on New Year's Day. That really is impressive. Can't wait to read more.

[qalgo] "Call girl" said with a mouth full of marbles? An archipeligo?

January 02, 2006 11:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home