Wednesday, March 30

Doing the math

OK, I could add this to my previous post, but I'm going to create a completely new one.

I just did the math on my calibration walk with the pedometer.

The first half mile was 1,170 steps.

Then I turned around and basically walked back to where I started from. That was 997 steps.

And the first mile came out to 2,167 steps.

Then I walked a 1.25 mile loop and I didn't have a good point in the middle to stop and measure.

That 1.25 mile walk came out to 2,456 steps. Dividing by 1.25 equals 1964.8 for the second mile.


So one mile measured out at 2,167 steps and a second mile measured out at 1,964.8 steps.

Perhaps one simple way to estimate is that 2,000 steps equals about a mile, 1000 steps equals about a half mile and 500 steps equals about a quarter mile.

If nothing else, that will work well for simplicity's sake and I should be able to remember it.

3 Comments:

Blogger bl said...

Last night at work, I walked 9,001 steps - 4.5 miles? I don't know. Maybe.

I walked to the coffee machine and back. I walked to the bathroom. I walked around the newsroom. I got up and walked to the wall and back when waiting for my computer to load. I walked to the water cooler.

Did I walk 4.5 miles?

Possibly.

Tonight my shift is longer but I will be in a different newsroom. Still, my goal will be at least 3 miles more. Or 6,000 more steps. I think that is reasonable. And I will still get a lot done, but I know my computer is slower so I will have reason to walk away while waiting on the computer to process my work.

April 01, 2011 5:41 am  
Blogger bl said...

Here are the raw numbers for my second night at work with the pedometer: starting at 23, 688 and finishing at 34, 531 for 10,843 steps.

And so if 2,000 steps is more or less a mile, than I walked about 5.4 miles.

Not bad, I guess.

Tonight's shift if one hour longer so we'll see how much walking we get done.

Hopefully a little more. We'll see.

April 02, 2011 4:34 am  
Blogger bl said...

Tonight was my third night in a row wearing the pedometer at work.

Interestingly enough, Thursday night was a 10-hour shift.
Friday night was an 11-hour shift.
And Saturday night was a 12-hour shift.

So every night the amount I walked should be more. Not to mention my determination to walk a little bit more and make my time at work actually be something positive.

Saturday night I started with 35,657 steps on the pedometer and I finished up 12 hours later at 54527 steps.

That's a total of 18, 820 steps. My rough estimate of 2,000 steps equals a mile brings the total to 9.4 miles.

I'm going to make a post on pedometer accuracy later, but I think that's a good estimate.

April 03, 2011 5:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home