Thursday, October 14

My back, part two

My prolonged absence from running has taken its toll. I feel winded walking up the stairs to my bedroom.

I remember walking up the stairs in my apartment in Springfield was one of the things that motivated me to get serious about running.

So, I went for a quick one-mile run before work today. I decided to cut it short. I had plenty of time for the run, but I just didn't feel like running.

Perhaps I should look for places to do more hiking.

I also feel like I've been gaining weight lately and I need to find a way to combat that.

One of the things I left out of my last post is that I think my back pain is connected with my job. I can trace the pain back to when I started working in the second newsroom.

My job also wears me out. After getting off on Sunday morning, I slept for almost 12 hours. And then I slept most of the day on Monday as well.

I'm reminded of that phrase, "Life is too short."

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim Evans said...

Brian,
On September 7th I started a half marathon. I suffered an injury and had to quit (My very first DNF). I had been hurting every time I ran before then and afterward it got worse. I told all my buddies I was going to quit and cut my running by two-thirds. Sunday I participated in a half in Joplin because I had already paid the entry fee. I ran seven minutes faster than my last half and got first in my age group.

I think I was suffering from physical fatigue that rest cured. I believe you are suffering from emotional fatigue that exercise might cure.

October 14, 2010 8:27 pm  
Blogger bl said...

You may be right Jim.

But right now, I have almost zero desire to go running.

Maybe I need to find somewhere to go hiking so I can get back in the habit of at least being active and moving around more.

October 15, 2010 4:17 pm  
Blogger bl said...

I just re-read this post and surprised myself. I don't remember being winded walking upstairs to my bedroom.

March 21, 2011 1:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home