Monday, January 14

18 miles

Hopefully now that I'm teaching I can get in a better routine. Today was a bit crazy.
After the first day of class, I went running with Jim Evans. Jim wanted to do 20 miles.
I didn't run 20 miles last week. And I don't think I ran 20 miles the week before.

Sometimes when Jim and I run and I'm feeling slow, Jim runs circles around me. I don't like that.

The plan for today was we'd go out on the Frisco Highline Trail to the 9-mile mark at which point I would turn around. Jim would keep going to the 10-mile mark and then turnaround. I figured he'd catch me at some point.

But when I reached the 2 mile mark and I couldn't see him behind me, I figured that wouldn't happen unless I started walking. Once I did that, he appeared in the horizon.

I might have run back to meet him except my legs were tired. Very tired.

I always tend to fade way too soon, though, so today I did try to run a bit harder. On the way back, I felt tired in my legs, but I wanted to push harder. After 10 miles, I found that no matter how hard I ran, and I tried to run hard, I couldn't run so hard that I felt pain anywhere except my legs.

I must work on running harder.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jim Evans said...

They say whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Today I woke up feeling only a little sore, but mostly recovered. I’m alive, so I guess I’m stronger.

Brian dragged me out to the Frisco trail for a 20 mile fun run yesterday. It was fairly cold but warm enough to cause a half-inch to two-inch deep muck to run through. That mushy surface and a brisk north wind are my excuse.

We ran pretty easy for nine miles then I stepped up to a pace somewhat faster than my goal marathon pace which I maintained for the next seven miles. I noticed the pain creeping in around the sixteen mile mark and by eighteen miles I was in sever hurt. The old legs resisted every step. After a short walk at nineteen miles I was able to force myself to complete the run at a decent pace.

My training plan calls for another long run (22 miles) on January 27th then again on February 3rd.

Any help would be welcome.

January 15, 2008 9:40 am  
Blogger rslight said...

Our long run distances were pretty similar this week.
I woke up early Sunday morning to run 18 miles at Greene Park (and surrounding neighborhoods). Felt pretty good, took about 3 hours.
I deliberately ran in the morning so I would be home in plenty of time for what turned out to be a mess of a Dallas Cowboys game.
I was extremely frustrated by the way my boys played. I wish they would bring the kind of intensity to football that I have with my running.
I'm determined to have a big PR at the Little Rock Marathon. No trips to Mexico with anyone named Jessica for me. Got to be focused.
Next Sunday I'm going 12 miles, and then I'll do 20 miles on Jan. 28.
Good luck to you folks.

January 15, 2008 12:32 pm  
Blogger bl said...

Maybe Ryan and Jim should hook up.

I'm so drained from yesterday's run that I'm having trouble writing my lesson for tomorrow.

I think I'll skip anything longer than a 12 mile run for the forseeable future. At least until I build my base better.
I think I could do a 10-mile run everyday and be OK. But this 18 mile stuff when I'm not training for a marathon and haven't prepared properly isn't good.

January 15, 2008 10:21 pm  
Blogger Jim Evans said...

Ryan,
Shall we try to hook up for a long run on the 27th or 28? Get Brian to give you my email address or phone number.

January 16, 2008 8:00 pm  
Blogger bl said...

After class, I felt sore all day today. Very soon after class at that.

Thankfully, I wasn't sore during class.

I can't remember the last time I was this sore. This is like marathon soreness.

It's because I ran so hard, I guess. A soreness that brings satisfaction when I reflect on it.

January 16, 2008 8:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are you teaching? What are you teaching?

January 17, 2008 9:16 am  
Blogger rslight said...

If Jim Evans wants to meet me for a long run on Monday, Jan. 28, that would be great.
He could pick the time and location convenient for him.

I intend to go 20 miles, and probably around a 10-minute mile pace. That may be a bit slow for Jim, but my primary goal is not speed, but just feeling comfortable with the distance.

January 17, 2008 12:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home