Wednesday, December 26

To Michigan and back

I just ran to Michigan and back. Now, as the crow flies, it's only four tenths of a mile to Michigan from my parents' house but you can't get there as the crow flies. So, it turned into a 5.25 mile run. Thank you www.runningmap.com!
Anyhow, this was my first run outside the subdivision and my last for a while. Man, I do enjoy the lightly trafficked roads of this area and the 25 mph speed limit.
The one thing I don't enjoy is the feeling that it's a mostly white neighborhood and I've never really felt like I belonged. I don't know why I have this small amount of feeling like a police officer or security guard might at any moment roll up next to me.
But they haven't so far. And I'm just about done. But if we were in a city, I might feel more comfortable running before sunup or after dark. As it is though, there are definitely good things about running in the suburbs. I'm thankful for the low speed limit and the lack of traffic out here.
Today's run was also my first run with any real focus on speed. I did some sprinting from mailbox to mailbox at times and that was good.
All in all, today's workout was a good one and unlike the squirrel I saw, I'm not roadkill.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim Evans said...

I have run in a few places where I was the only white guy. I think I was safe because I was a novelty rather than a perceived threat or target. There is less prejudice where there is a non-existent or insignificant minority. As a "black jogger" you would likely be ogled not threatened.

December 26, 2007 3:44 pm  
Blogger rslight said...

Jim Evans makes a good point.

I was initially apprehensive being one of a couple white people at Kwanzaafest 5K in Dallas, but I came in sixth and the African-American spectators cheered for me like I was Ryan Hall.

(I'm actually of mixed race since I'm one-fourth Caddo Indian, but enough white to be considered white.)

December 27, 2007 8:17 pm  
Blogger bl said...

I know he makes a good point, but it's just different.

When you grow up black in America and your parents grew up black in America, things are different.

It's clearly a safe place, but when certain things are taught (beaten into your head) from a young age then that colors how you see the world.

December 28, 2007 8:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home