Saturday, December 22

Thoughts on mileage

It's in the mid-40s and dreary here just a couple of miles from Michigan's southern border. I don't feel like running today. It's so blah out.
I guess I'll rest today and then try for a long or medium-long run on Sunday. It may even snow then. Today's forecast only calls for showers but I'd kind of like some snow.
I've been hoping to go running in a Winter Wonderland of sorts. But all the snow is melting away.
If I run 9 miles tomorrow I will have run 40 miles this week on 4 days. If I ran today, that would change the total numbers slightly and get me over 5 days. But my body is saying that today should be a day of rest.
Still, I can't remember if I blogged about this before or not but I ran 1210 miles last year and as of the start of this week, I'd run 1255 miles. I don't have a specific mileage goal for next year but I would like to get up to averaging around 50miles a week at some point for a significant part of the year. We'll see how that goes. I think it should probably be 50 miles a week on at least 5 days of running. Or should that be six? What would be a good resource on the best way to increase mileage and why increasing mileage is important? Other than MS. Maybe MS just has all the answers.

2 Comments:

Blogger MS said...

Heh, I wish I had all the answers. I would say based on my own very limited experience that you probably want to run at least 5 days a week, maybe 6, if you're going to do 50+ miles per week. (I was actually talking with rslight about this at the Christmas Mile this morning.)

You could probably do 50+ on just 4 days a week, but then you're running a LOT every time you're heading out the door. Even on 5 days you're doing the same thing. The thing I like about adding more days is that you can mix in short easy runs on some days and still make progress in training. You're not stuck doing 10 or 12 (or more) miles every time you put on the running shoes.

December 22, 2007 4:28 pm  
Blogger bl said...

I think I like alternating between 5 and 6 days.
That way when you're not running, you're really not running and you can focus more on relaxing and recovering.

I wish I had a plan though as to how to build up. Also, right now I feel a bit disoriented because I don't have any familiar routes and running loops through these neighborhoods is starting to get old.

I just feel disoriented.

But this is currently base building so steady running is the main thing I guess.

Perhaps I just wish the sun would come out a bit more and it wouldn't be so dreary. Sigh.

December 22, 2007 5:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home