Tuesday, December 18

What the future holds

I ran 20 miles yesterday. Today I'm a little sore. But I have to pack and get ready to go. I've got a long trip tomorrow to go back to Indiana. Hopefully though the roads will be clear. And then we'll see how much I'll run up north. It will definitely be cold there. Much colder than here.

I've already met my goal of exceeding my 2006 mileage in 2007. I'm going to try to do that in 2008 also. The biggest goal for 2008 though is to get a job.

But speaking of jobs, here's a quote from an interview with one of my favorite poets, Stephen Dunn:

No, I never wrote advertisements for a living. I wrote in-house brochures that went to the sales force of a corporation. Even with that kind of writing, my soul was in danger, which was why many years ago I quit, and tried to see if I was good enough to take a chance at becoming the kind of writer I wished to be. What I hate about most commercials is what I hate about society-speak and political cant. The debasement of language.


I don't want a job that puts my soul in danger.

And lately, I've been wondering about if I could become the kind of writer I wish to be? I mean previously I just wanted to be a newspaper columnist. But perhaps that was setting my sights too low.

We'll see what the future holds. For now, I'm thinking bean soup and beans and rice and polenta. But I'm also thinking there's a little bit more.

1 Comments:

Blogger KWK said...

You're committed enough that running in the cold won't pose too much of a problem. Over the last two months, I've found sub-freezing temperatures much less daunting than I expected when I was in sunny Southern California.

And there's always the treadmill.

As far as guarding your soul goes, well, I've less experience with that. Though grad school was soul-crushing in some respects, direct frontal assaults on my personal integrity were not really an occupational hazard.

December 18, 2007 9:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home