Sunday, December 30

Run for the Ranch - first comment

Well, I didn't win the Run for the Ranch 5K. I didn't even win my age group, although I was close.
I had a collision at the corner of Bennett and Holland as I was going into my finishing kick. Some guy was coming at me and I thought he go right or left so I kept going straight ahead. I didn't realize that he knocked my number off until I went under the finish line. So I jogged back to get my number and then turned around for a second finishing kick.
Here's the thing though. Before the race I saw somebody I'd trained with in the Body Mechanix track workouts. He said he was going to take it easy. He hadn't been running in over a month. What's take it easy mean for you, I asked? Under 20?
He kind of shrugged his shoulders and said yeah. I said how bout 19:30? That's a round number he said. I like that.
He ran 19:32 and won the race.
Damn.
I'm not running tomorrow.
My plan is to run about 12 or 15 miles on Jan. 1. I'll check my long from last year and at least match that.
Right now, I think I might just have a beer.
Perhaps there will be more comments on this race.
Congrats to all the other Poetic Feeters who were out there.
If I'm able, no matter where I live, unless I'm out of the country, I think I'll run it again next year. However, I may apply for a passport. Who knows what the future holds.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim Evans said...

It was a great day for a race.

Congratulations to Mark for getting first in group and fifth overall in the half.
Bib disaster not withstanding, Brian still got a good 5K time on a uneasy course.

I ran the whole marathon even though I fully expected to be a DNF. My goal was to run Boston qualifying pace for about 15 miles then ease off and quit at the end of lap seven. I allowed myself to be manipulated by Bob Dewar (too fast for 14 miles), Dennis (paced me on laps seven and eight), and a guy named Larry (Built guilt).

Thanks D’Tang, Brian and Mark for convincing me that I was hurting less than I really was.

I’m sore today.

December 31, 2007 10:37 am  
Blogger MS said...

You know, I think what I like about this race is that you get to see a lot of other runners out there. I encountered rslight, Brian, and Jim (while running with Bob) at various points on the course, even though they were running everything from a 5K to the marathon between them.

December 31, 2007 1:11 pm  
Blogger bl said...

What I like about the race is that it gives me hope. I don't think my time was very good, but I do think that at a small race like this, I've got a shot to win if I can just put everything together.
So, we'll see.
My goal for 2008 is a sub-20 minute 5K. That would have put me near the top yesterday.
I think it's very doable.

December 31, 2007 4:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home