Tuesday, November 13

Cute overload

Today I talked to a class of fourth and fifth grade students about poetry. I read some of my poems and some of my favorite poems by other writers.

One of the poems I read included a German word. Zenf. It means mustard.

One of the girls in the class asked me if I knew any words in Russian. I said no.

She told me that she knew all of them.

At the end of the period, as I was walking out, the school's literacy coach told me that she was adopted and she'd only been in this country for 9 months. Before that, she lived in Russia.

So, perhaps she does know the entire Russian language. So that was my cute overload experience for the day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely look into Kenneth Koch's books WISHES, LIES, AND DREAMS, and ROSE, WHERE DID YOU GET THAT RED? The are fabulous for getting kids to write. I've used them!

November 15, 2007 3:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home