Monday, November 5

BEAT JIM IN 08

I’m basically against competition so please understand this as motivational goals – not winning or losing. I once told Brian he would eventually beat me. Sunday made me realize that he is closer than I thought. That is the source of this idea.

This is the “beat Jim in ‘08” Challenge. I’ll buy a pizza dinner for everyone who succeeds. Here are my rules:
For Brian and Ryan – you must cross the finish line of any 5K or 10K before me. This will probably mean around 22:30 or 46:00 but could be much slower on one of my bad days.
For Pam and Mark you have to get a better WAVA score in the same race as me. This will probably be around 69% but could be as low as 65% on one of my bad days.
I encourage the others of you to submit a proposed challenge, based on your own expectations, for me to add to this list.
It must be done in the same race and between now and my birthday (July 12th). I will try to race often to provide plenty of opportunity. I will change the rules by request. We’ll have the pizza party next summer. Please understand that I’m cheap.

Good Luck!
Comment to accept and or suggest a way I can add you in.
Do you want a piece of this?

9 Comments:

Blogger rslight said...

How about beat Jim in 07? (big chuckle)
I'm sure I'll be under 23 minutes in the 5K pretty soon.
I'm definitely up for the challenge. Thank you for proposing it.

November 05, 2007 5:51 pm  
Blogger bl said...

Beat Jim in '07. Those are pretty much my thoughts exactly.

I've got two 5Ks I want to run yet this year for certain.

The Jack Frost Run raising money for Catholic Campus Ministries and the Jingle Bell Run the following weekend.

Perhaps I'll see you there.

November 05, 2007 7:17 pm  
Blogger MS said...

1. I accept your challenge.

2. I will be running the Turkey Trot, though that's such a big race on such a small course that anything could happen...I don't know if it would be an accurate measure.

3. If you'll allow me the opportunity to "Beat Jim With Gusto", I'm probably going to run the Run for the Ranch half marathon on 12/30.

November 05, 2007 9:18 pm  
Blogger R said...

What's a WAVA score?

November 05, 2007 10:21 pm  
Blogger MS said...

It's a way of age-grading race times. Googling WAVA comes up with a surprising amount of unrelated stuff, but here's one thing I found about it:

http://www.pinebeltpacers.org/AgeGrade/AgeGrade.htm

November 05, 2007 10:38 pm  
Blogger Jim Evans said...

Here is another calculator. This one is based on 2006 data. The older one worked on 1994 data. I will count either as long as we use the same one.

http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmalookup06.html

November 06, 2007 9:52 am  
Blogger Jim Evans said...

R, Tang, KWK, or anonymous may also join in, I just need for you to suggest a fair way to shape the challenge. If you are out of town, we will have to be more creative, but I am flexible (not related to stretching). I'll still come through with the dinner even if it is a virtual meeting.


I reserve the right to disqualify any race (i.e. I will be running with family during the Turkey Trot).

November 06, 2007 10:01 am  
Blogger Jim Evans said...

ms,
I hope to do the Ranch and most likely the half but don't get your hopes up.

November 06, 2007 10:04 am  
Blogger R said...

Hm. Yeah, we'll need more advance warning about what races you're planning to do... and either find comparable ones or do the same ones............

November 07, 2007 11:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home