Monday, November 26

The best place you'll ever be

Life is short.

"This is the best place you'll ever be." - Skip Prosser, Wake Forest basketball coach.
Born: November 3, 1950
Died: July 26, 2007

While flipping through the channels last night, I caught a bit of the Wake Forest basketball game. The head coach died this summer after a short jog.

I heard them talking on the broadcast about how the team had taped up some of his favorite sayings in the locker room. One of them was "This is the best place you'll ever be." As I recall, it was something he told his players after a tough loss. They had to go out and face the media and he'd reminded them of how good it was to be in the gym. How good it was to be a college basketball player. How good it was to have the opportunities they had.

It moved me.

There are so many moments in our lives when we can just stop and look around in the midst of tough situations and say this is where I've wanted to be. This is the best place I'll ever be.

Maybe tomorrow gets better. It probably does. But that's because of where I was today.

I don't know. I'm not sure if I'm making as much sense as I'd like to. This is just a small, personal blog right?

So anyhow, I've quit my job. I have one week left. My last day is Dec. 4. I'm scared but I'm excited. Somehow everything is going to work out.

Life is short. It's too short to do something you don't want to do.

Lately I've been thinking of other careers I'd rather do than what I'm doing. The time came to make a decision and I did.

Life is short, but life is good. Thank you for being a friend.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go to this month's ESQUIRE magazine, the one with Denzel Washington, Javier Bardem, and Cate Blanchett onthe cover. There is a segment featuring a number of male school teachers in New York, all of whom are nominated for a prestigious teaching award. Designer duds aside, I though it might inspire you...

November 29, 2007 1:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home