Sunday, September 9

Challenges

I thought about headlining this post "Frustrations, part two." Or "Frustrations, -BL." But no. I'm not frustrated. I just have challenges.

Today's run was a challenge. Yesterday and today I had a phantom pain in my side. I think I just slept funny. I had a decent workout yesterday. Hill repeats next to Hammons field. The pain in my side was a small factor. But then again, what pain. It wasn't that major.

And you know what Zatopek said: "If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years, then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter. I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

And I've really wanted to average 40 miles a week for marathon training. After today, there's only one week left of training before the taper.

I needed four quality miles yesterday and I think the hill repeats gave them to me.

Today's run was 10 miles. I almost typed only 10 miles.

Today's run was 10 miles. I wanted to get up and run with a group of people at 6 a.m. I overslept. When I finally completely rolled out of bed, the pain in my side was still there.

After a lot of thinking, I decided to wait until noon and go to the Y for a run at marathon pace. That's 9 minute miles. 10 miles at 9 minute pace. Tougher than I expected, but not so tough I couldn't do it. Could I do it for 16 miles more?

27 days to race day.

Challenges.

2 Comments:

Blogger bl said...

By the way, I think the pain in my side was just gas.

September 10, 2007 8:07 am  
Blogger Jim Evans said...

Gas is fuel.

I think it is harder to run at a given steady pace on the tred mill than on the road. Maybe you can make the four hour marathon.

September 11, 2007 6:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home