Saturday, September 1

Thank you Plucinski

Is that the reason why you're running so fast? And she said, 'Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride. Nobody's gonna slow me down. Oh no. I got to keep on moving.' -- Matthew Wilder, Break My Stride

I've never met Karen Plucinski. I've just heard of her as a speedy, talented marathon runner.
I (rslight) was extremely shocked to be running beside Plucinski more than one mile into Saturday's Spin for Kids 5K in Springfield. Surely I wasn't going that fast. However, I really tried hard to keep up with her.
I also attempted to visualize myself as a Kenyan in the www.chicagomarathon.com videos I've watched (you can now view highlights of the 2005 or 2006 race). It's a stretch. I know. But I wanted to mimic their arm motion. I often pump my elbows back and forth like crazy, but their arms seem so relaxed.

I crossed the finish a few seconds after Plucinski to get a 5K PR of 23:48! My 24-minute-something 5K summer malaise is broken! My old PR of 23:53 wasn't some bizarre fluke! To quote Lewis Carroll: O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

To add to my glee, I was in no pain or discomfort despite running 18 miles for the first time earlier this week. I've got just one 20-miler left before I taper for the Chicago Marathon. I was so happy after today's 5K that I'm sure I could have run 20 miles out of pure excitement.
However, I haven't deviated from John "the Penguin" Bingham's Marathoning for Mortals plan, and it just calls for an 8-mile long run next week. I'm essentially at the Penguin's command.

4 Comments:

Blogger bl said...

on what day is your 20 mile run planned? what is your pace?

i might be interested in joining you if you'd like to venture outdoors and off the treadmill.

our paces are probably relatively similar. since you've been running on the treadmill, what is your pace?

September 01, 2007 9:33 pm  
Blogger rslight said...

My 20-mile run will be sometime next week. It may have to be late in the evening because of my work schedule.

My long runs have just been at an 11:30 mile pace.

That may be too slow for you. But if our schedules work out, it would be fun to do an outdoor training run with you. I'll let you know.

September 03, 2007 4:15 pm  
Blogger rslight said...

Oh, and kudos for leading off this blog with a quote from the GREATEST FOOTBALL COACH OF ALL TIME.

September 03, 2007 4:17 pm  
Blogger rslight said...

And, while I'm thinking about football, you have my condolences for how Notre Dame played this weekend. Shiver.

September 03, 2007 4:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home