Wednesday, August 8

Pardon the cliche, but it's not the

Heat. Hot hot hot. Whew. There's a myth that Santa Fe, New Mexico is hot. There's a freaking reality that Austin, Texas is hot.
And it's not the heat, it's the humidity. Really, it is. I'm going out running but I can't help but wonder how much different it would feel if I were actually swimming.
Here I am soaking everything in at the National Poetry Slam and having a pretty good time. I'm competing tonight so I'm starting to get really focused on that.
Yesterday I overslept (leaving around 7:30) but still put in (about) five miles mostly on this nice trail by a river (or is it Town Lake) here in Austin.
Today I did get up and out before the sun came up. I think I hit the road around 6:15 or so. I just spent a short amount of time on the trail today. Mostly I ran along one of the busiest streets in Austin. Congress. I headed down to St. Edward's University, a school founded by Father Edward Sorin. Sorin also founded Notre Dame. After running a short loop around the campus of St. Edward's - I'm not sure what the major landmarks are there, didn't see a golden dome anywhere nor a football stadium nor a grotto - I headed back out to Congress and ran to the state capitol.
It was a good run to clear my head and tomorrow I think I'll head up Trinity and see what the University of Texas at Austin campus looks like.
The plan for tonight is to do the Ali poem. Time to practice and get in the zone.

1 Comments:

Blogger rslight said...

As a graduate of the UT System, I'm jealous of your experience running at the Austin campus.
You'll have to get and wear an orange cap so you'll be an official longhorn for the week.

August 08, 2007 4:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home