Sunday, July 29

Hello from New Mexico

I got to Albuquerque yesterday. We've done two runs so far - about 8 miles total. Camp hasn't started yet but we're runners so we're running up here in the high desert. These runs are mostly to get adjusted to the altitude. Albuquerque is about 5000 feet up and we'll gain another 2000 as we go to Santa Fe. And some of our runs in Santa Fe will be even higher up in the mountains. What fun.
The harder runs are coming. And the altitude will make them even tougher.
Meanwhile, I'm thinking about what I'm training for. The Twin Cities Marathon. And what is the time I'm training for? Really that's the biggie? Do I just say I want to run an hour faster? Is that realistic? Is that setting my goal too high or too low?
I'll be thinking about these goals this week as I think about everything else. (Everything else in my life, actually.) The thing about running is that you did get sorted and measured next to other people. But the only person you really compete with is yourself. There's no shame in losing to a more talented runner. But there is some shame, right, in not running as well as you can. In putting out what is for you a substandard effort. In cheating yourself of the satisfaction of knowing you did your best.
Well, that's what I think. But I'll be thinking about that some more as I work on getting in better shape, getting faster and learning how to train smarter.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vajra said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 30, 2007 12:31 am  
Blogger Vajra said...

Congratulations! I didn't know you were going to camp again. We wish we could be there but our tenant moved out suddenly and we have LOTS of work to do on the house before it's ready for our new tenants. Train hard. Have fun. And enjoy Santa Fe.

July 30, 2007 12:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home