Thursday, July 26

Trying to listen

I'm training harder than I've trained for a marathon before. I'm pushing myself near my limits. I'm running hard, incorporating speedwork and weekly long runs. I'm not completely satisfied with how I'm running just right now, but I'm also trying to listen and pay attention to my body.
Part of the reason I know I'm training harder than ever is taht I'm more sore than I've been before. It must be the track along with the intensity of all of my workouts.
I know it's good to train hard. But the other side of the coin is that I also want to train smart. I've got to take rest days. I know this. I've got to train hard but also run the good easy recovery miles. I've got to not run my long runs too fast.
I've also got to sleep well and relax.
So many things to balance. I am so looking forward to these next two weeks. Hopefully running in Santa Fe and Austin will be refreshing and inspiring for me.
And hopefully I'll improve at listening to my body and understanding its language.

2 Comments:

Blogger KWK said...

Rest days and easy runs are hard for me too. I tend to want to push myself as hard as possible all the time. It's often easier to have down time when I'm just plain injured. In those cases, I feel like taking time off to recover is how I am training. Now if I can only convince myself of that during my normal times...

July 28, 2007 1:11 pm  
Blogger Jim Evans said...

It took me 26 years to learn to recognize the signs and train with the correct balance between intensity and rest. Now I err on the side of caution. I don't race at my peak but I have set a PR by not being injured in over four years.

July 29, 2007 6:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home