Sunday, July 22

Boston?

I have never been successful at marathons. More often than not I end up an injured observer rather than a competitor when I register for a marathon. The past four years have been good to me and I may have gained some inner awareness that will help me with my next quest.

I discovered that I can qualify for the 2009 Boston marathon with a time of 4:00:59 on any certified race held after September 31, 2007. I learned long ago that qualifying for Boston is at the upper limit of my running ability. I ran the Quad Cities marathon in 3:56:33 on Sept 23, 2001. I have slowed down in the past seven years, but I have learned to head the signs of impending injury, so I can train more wisely.

I have made the leap. I will make my attempt at the Houston Marathon in January. I have created a training schedule that includes many races and a marathon pace half-marathon run every other weekend. I will run the Las Vegas Half on Dec. 2nd, 2007.

I will need all of the encouragement, support, and advice I can get.

3 Comments:

Blogger tangerine said...

As long as you train wisely, you should be able to do it. Best lucks!

July 22, 2007 2:46 pm  
Blogger rslight said...

As a former Gulf Coast resident, I have to suggest going to Gaido's on Galveston Island for some fantastic seafood.
That would make a great treat after you Boston qualify.

July 22, 2007 5:43 pm  
Blogger MS said...

You'll get it in the bag, no doubt about it. I was going to say you should go for broke and try to qualify for 2008, but wow...that's a lot tougher threshhold!

July 22, 2007 9:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home