Saturday, July 21

My PR: SIX minutes faster!

With much pride, I'd like to announce I shaved off my previous PR by more than six minutes at this morning's CoxHealth Women's Run at Phelps Grove Park. I finished 54th with 27 minutes and 4 seconds. That smashed my old time of 33 minutes and 14 seconds.

I am very glad about the time, but then thought I could have been in the TOP 50 if I tried a little harder. Oh, well, there's always a next year.

I ran the course about a week ago and even walked the first two miles last night to take some mental notes. My goal was to come under 30 minutes, so I did well in that sense. But it was not an easy race, because I got off too fast for the first mile and started to feel bad toward the end of Mile 2. For Mile 3, I sort of picked up some speed and started to sprint toward the end. Yet I couldn't keep up the speed as I had wished. The good thing, I didn't stop to walk but ran every single step toward the end.

6 Comments:

Blogger bl said...

Congrats. Apparently your plan to taper off worked quite well.

July 21, 2007 11:56 am  
Blogger R said...

congratulations!!

July 21, 2007 8:14 pm  
Blogger tangerine said...

Thank you! I myself was surprised, too. Now it's going to make my next 5K more challenging.

July 21, 2007 8:35 pm  
Blogger MS said...

I always feel like I run better when I know the course beforehand, whether I'm racing or just training. There's something about being able to pick out landmarks and know roughly where I am along the way that helps me mentally. I guess it helped you today too!

July 21, 2007 8:52 pm  
Blogger bl said...

Nothing beats knowing the course.
I think a big part of my current 5K PR (23:30) is that I had run the course several times and I knew where it sloped and where it went uphill.

Fortunately for you, Tangerine, I think there are several 5Ks on that course by your house.

July 22, 2007 10:51 am  
Blogger rslight said...

I smiled when I reached the pre-registration table for my 9 a.m. Saturday 5K in Kansas City.
That's because the clock read 8:05 a.m., and I knew Tangerine was kicking some serious derriere that moment in Springfield.

July 22, 2007 5:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home