Saturday, July 14

My foot feels great

Well, that title sounds a lot better than my foot feels so-so. My foot had been bothering me lately but yesterday was a rest day and today was a 10K I'd pre-registered for. A hilly, challenging 10K.
Whatever.
I did OK. I got a new pr. Around 52:30 is what I remember the clock saying as I crossed the finish line. My good friend Rslight was about 12 seconds behind me. As I remember from looking at the results, the closest person I was to finished about two minutes faster than me. I would have loved to have someone in my sights that I could have tried to pass in the last half-mile but I didn't see anybody.
I did however have people close on my tail so that helped motivate me to have a strong finishing kick. The best thing though was that my feet, specifically my left foot, didn't hinder my running.
Tomorrow's scheduled for a long run but I'm going to try to get up early, beat the heat and listen to my body. We'll see how it goes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim Evans said...

The course was short 6.12 which adds about 41 seconds. On the other hand, I ran the Polar Bear 10K three minutes faster than I ran this course today and I am fairly consistant in effort and training. I think your 52:30 today translats to about 48:45 on a flat course on a perfect day.

July 14, 2007 2:00 pm  
Blogger bl said...

I don't know. It felt like a 10K to me. And near the end I had to dodge a couple of people.

Besides I like to think I enjoy the more challenging, hillier courses.

As we encountered the last nearly mile-long hill, this guy in front of me said he'd been dreading the hill for the last three miles.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that I'd been looking forward to that hill for 3 miles. I enjoyed running down it, especially because you were behind me most of the whole way. But I love the way that I can pass people on hills.

I'll take my 52:30 yesterday and look forward to the 42:30 that I want at some point not too far in the future.

July 15, 2007 5:19 pm  
Blogger bl said...

I should clarify that today my foot really does feel great.

And that what I love best about hills is passing people on the way up, not the way down. Those it's always nice to feel like I'm going faster than other people.

Also, I don't feel that this race in any way represented a peak 10K performance. I was very worried about my foot for most of the morning. Things went well, but I know I can run faster. My effort just wasn't what it should have been if I were trying to run my hardest.

But I did have a good 10K - a pr for goodness sake - and I had a decent long run the next day so I don't have any complaints.

July 16, 2007 11:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home