Wednesday, May 30

Feeling the excitement

So today I found a map for the Chris Sifford 5K. So I went out to run the course, which is a 2.5 K loop.

And I tried to keep in mind Kyler's words on breathing and race pace.

One of the most important ways for me to gauge my pace, and to determine how much harder I can push myself, is to focus on my breathing. I normally have a very precise cadence: on easy runs I take 4 strides per breath, while "race pace" is a very steady 3 strides per breath. Throughout any run, I'll try to stay right on the edge, flirting with the transition from 4 to 3 or from 3 to 2 strides/breath. I'm always very aware of these transitions when I pick up the pace or when I back off, so it's a fantastic way for me to gauge how hard I'm pushing myself.


OK, the problem here is that unlike Kyler I don't have a precise cadence. Also, I'm willing to bet that Kyler is better with numbers than I am. How many strides per breath? That requires counting. Was that two strides per breath? Or one stride? Or three?
It's not always pretty between my ears, folks. It's just not.
The counting thing didn't quite work.

So, I was also trying to put in a good effort, but not go race hard all-out. How did that work? OK, I guess. I can run harder. Just how much harder. Quite simply, we'll see on Saturday morning. Hopefully it will be a good race.

It's largely a downhill race with key sections going uphill. I'm excited about the uphills and think the downhills will give me a chance to stretch out my long legs.

I'm excited.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim Evans said...

I decided to run this race instead of the medical mile Saturday. My goal is to not get another 22:40.

May 31, 2007 8:45 pm  
Blogger R said...

I count my breaths, too. Except you don't count, 1,2,3... you count like in music, and your stride is the beat and your breath is the melody. (I personally tend to imagine 3/4 time, with each time a foot hits the ground being one quarter note, so one "measure" alternates between being left-right-left or right-left-right) I count breathing in and breathing out as two breaths rather than one, too. I don't actually keep track of the numbers, I just know what will feel normal.

June 01, 2007 11:52 am  
Blogger bl said...

The original title of this post was I try not to think about it.

I changed that because it seemed too depressing.

But really, I must try not to think about it and not to count.

and the way my mind works, if I start going left-right-left, or right-left-right I'll start wondering about left-left-right and it will be a bad dance or something.

June 01, 2007 12:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home