Saturday, December 2

A medal - keeping it cool

So originally the plan for today was to be in Memphis and run the half-marathon. Ah, wanna make God laugh? Tell her about your plans.

I decided not to go to Memphis because I didn't want to drive slowly over icy, snow-covered roads and play roulette with road conditions on my way back. I tried not to second-guess that decision.

Anyhow, I decided to run a short local race today. The Jack Frost 5k. There was also a 10K but with so much ice on the ground and the temperature not expected to get out of the teens, I figured 5 ks were enough. The forecast was wrong though and it was very comfortable weather for running. Of course, I second-guessed the decision quite a bit.

But there was so much ice I'm glad I did the shorter race. And then the awards ceremony reconfirmed my decision to run the 5K. I'm not sure how many people were in the 30-39 age bracket, but I placed third with a time a couple of minutes slower than my PR.

But what may not have been a fast time was definitely a good time. Except for the fact that there was a little kid (under 14) who was close enough to watch during the last two miles of the race, and possibly close enough to catch. Possibly. But that would have also entailed the possibility of falling on my but in the ice. (And I didn't fall once!)

My Jack Frost t-shirt that I'm now wearing says, "Keep it cool." And that's what I did. Relaxed. Relished in the fact that no one was close enough to pass me. And had fun in my first race over snow and ice-covered ground. Perhaps it won't be my last.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cherie Kail said...

Good job, Brian! I did a ten miler this morning and sweated like mad....proof that I should've gotten out of bed for this one. did your brother go?
Also, I'm thinking about the Logan's Roadhouse meet, run and eat Thursday. Are you game? It sounds like fun...one thing I can save my money for is communion and food!

December 02, 2006 8:09 pm  
Blogger bl said...

More news - there wre more than three people in the 30-39 age group. Even though I didn't run particularly fast or well today, that makes the medal even more fun.

December 02, 2006 9:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home