Thursday, October 12

Still seeking small victories

My quest for small victories continues. This morning I got up in near freezing weather and ran part of the course for Saturday's Sunshine Run 10K.

It was cold, but it was good. It helped with visualization as I picture myself completing the race and finishing strong.

My current PR, from the Wichita River Run 10 this year is 56:37. I just want a small victory. I just want a new PR.

However, if I could beat somebody I know, somebody younger and faster than me, somebody like Nate Remington, who plans to run a sub-50 minute race, that would be great. That would be a big victory.

But really, I just want a small victory. I just want to run a good race, have a good time and finish strong, in under 56 minutes. Let's save the big victories for some other day.

Small victories are good. Like lunch today. I had tabouli that I bought at a local health food store. But Emack and Bolio's advertised bread pudding for $1. I ran about 4 miles this morning. I remembered what Dr. Woo said at Camp Marafiki about how there are no bad carbs. I decided that this would be a good day for some bread pudding. That was a small victory too.

Baby steps. Small victories. I can do it.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Younger than you? If that's even true, it's not by much.

I shall never be beaten. Never!

Though your legs be longer, my center of gravity be lower.

October 12, 2006 6:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the flattery, by the way, but I'm beginning to doubt a sub-50. We shall see. Perhaps this is all part of your "mental" game. I see what you're doin'.

October 12, 2006 6:25 pm  
Blogger Cherie Kail said...

Nate, never??? I have bounced back from a severe sciatic pinched nerve...only to hope for q victory that is relinquished with $500!!! See you at the starting line.....we've never met, I assume :) This race will be hugely, ginormously fun!

October 12, 2006 7:31 pm  
Blogger Cherie Kail said...

Brian, since you live near the course, you're fortunate. I suggest a banana and some milke beforehand, some meditation (or prayer), a good night's sleep and hey, I can see you making an easy 50....just remember posture and lift those knees....use your arms to swing, because they carry you through the tougher portions. The course is really fairly nice and poses no immediate threats. If the weather is anything like is being promised, we're in for a heckuva great day for a heckuva greater run! In the words of Governor Schwarzenneger (who was hilarious on the Tonight Show last night), if you don't beat yourself, I'll take you to the gym and pump...you up :) You don't even need luck, just be fluid and graceful. You can do it!@

October 12, 2006 7:34 pm  
Blogger bl said...

What me play mental games? No, not me.

But with Cherie's advice, I don't know. Maybe I'm going to start believing in a sub-50 for myself.

You gotta believe!

October 13, 2006 8:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My preparation consists of three pints of Guinness and a pack of cigarrettes the night before.

October 13, 2006 3:43 pm  
Blogger bl said...

I just had a small sushi dinner. I will have a cinnamon roll before going to be early.

I will wake up and warm up with a nice two-mile run. Then I will run a sub-50 minute 10K.

October 13, 2006 6:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home