Tuesday, September 19

Running scared

Lately I've been doing a lot of running on the treadmill and on unpaved trails. There are two reasons for this. One, I've been trying harder than before to avoid cars and traffic. Two, I've continued to be a wee bit concerned about my foot.

However, today as I came out of the Y after 4 good miles, I realized that i've got to redouble my efforts to get back outside. Training indoors won't help me get ready for running and racing in cooler weather.

And I think my foot is just about back to where it ought to be.

So it's time to work on starting to wake up early, get out the door in plenty of time before work and go running.

By the way, lately I've been posting almost everyday. I may pull back on that a bit some so I can do more reflective and longer posts. We'll see.

Sometimes the books on leadership that I'm reading have just awesome quotes and things I'd like to share. But it's less than 16 weeks from my next marathon and as much as anything else, I really want to focus on getting ready for that.

I hope you enjoy what I'm posting. I write so much at work sometimes I wonder if this is a good focus for my energy when I'm not at the office. I definitely don't want to spend more time than I have to looking at a computer scren.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cherie Kail said...

In the famous words of MORe, yes, MoRe R.W. Emerson, "Trust thyself; every heart vibrates to that iron string". Work hard, train harder! You can do it, just work on technique when you're running. Be sure you're not doing too much and check your arch, pronation and suppination. Cold-weather running, I have found in experience, is the most invigorating of humanly physical endeavors! Think Buseik in the SNOW~!!!!!

September 20, 2006 7:14 am  
Blogger bl said...

I enjoyed cold weather running last year - except when the running gloves I had (both pairs) proved their uselessness and my fingers felt frozen to the bone.

It's not so much that I'm running scared as that I'm just out of the routine of getting up first thing in the morning, jumping into my running clothes and getting out the door.

Also, the weather is doing some pretty wild swings lately. From low 40s one morning to low 60s the next. I'm not sure how much I'm looking forward to Busiek in the snow but definitely once the leaves start changing off the trees.

That will be great.

September 20, 2006 10:49 am  
Blogger R said...

Yay for your foot! I ran for about 20 minutes today, inspired by you... I think something is still wrong with my foot, but not running wasn't helping it heal, so heck, why not?

September 20, 2006 11:00 am  
Blogger bl said...

Hey, I'm no doctor and sometimes I worry I may be making some big mistakes.

I think I should probably try and swim more, but that's such a big change of my routine.
Perhaps I should buy a bike. I've been thinking a lot about that also lately.

Do you do much swimming out there in California?

Anyhow, be careful about following my example. I'm trying to be pretty careful myself.

September 20, 2006 11:55 am  
Blogger bl said...

Of course, out there in sunny Southern California where the cool breezes blow, you don't have to worry about extreme heat or extreme cold.

September 20, 2006 11:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home