Saturday, August 7

3 numbers

I raced my first 5K in years today.

It was called Logan's Run and it raised funds for an organization that works with children and adults with developmental disabilities.

So it was an event that kind of makes you thankful and makes you count your blessings.

Also, they call it an "event for people of all abilities."

In a sense I ran today like a person of several abilities.

I'm trying to keep today's 5K in perspective and not be too disappointed in myself.

A month ago, I probably couldn't have run a whole 5K, even. Anyway, today was a beautiful day and the weather was wonderful.

And I've run quite a bit around this time of day lately and the weather has been terribly humid and hot so the weather was great.

Anyhow, here are the numbers that defined today's race.

9:17 - I ran the first mile in 9 minutes and 17 seconds.

31:something - At the moment, I don't remember my exact time. I suppose you could say I forgot it quickly. But it was 31:something.

Sept. 11 - Interestingly enough, there's another 5K on Sept. 11. This one as well is at 7:30, a whole hour earlier than today's race.

(I probably shouldn't even think about the fact that I'll be bumped up to another age group on that day.)


But if you have any suggestions on things to do in training between now and then, I'm all ears.

A friend of mine once said that runners don't need races. Runners just run. But I think I'm kind of a goals junkie.

I need goals to reach my optimum performance. I've definitely got a goal now.

Beat this time from today's 5K on Sept. 11.

I'm not sure just what to shoot for, but I will be running harder and pushing myself quite a bit more in the runs to come this month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home