Friday, March 6

Movement toward the barely possible

Speaking of:

I've been running about 2 miles per week, ever since an injury sidelined me back in September. Or, rather, I've been running that much since I started running again, in January.

Runner's World advises adding no more than 10% of your weekly mileage each week, to avoid injury.

So, starting this week, I can go 2 miles
Week 2: 2.2
Week 3: 2.42
Week 4: 2.662
Week 5: 2.9
Week 6: 3.22
Week 7: 3.54
Week 8: 3.89
Week 9: 4.29
Week 10: 4.71
Week 11: 5.18
Week 12: 5.7
Week 13: 6.27
Week 14: 6.90
Week 15: 7.59
Week 16: 8.35
Week 17: 9.19
Week 18: 10.1

Now, I don't know that this needs to be adhered to that strictly. For instance, I think I could probably add a half-mile run in sometime this week, and jump to week 3 without doing too much harm, and adding 0.1 miles to each run next week (0.3 total added) would also probably not bring to a breaking point. Mostly, I wanted to type this up to see just how long it really will take to come back from an injury. The hardest part about this set of numbers is, just when I was cheering up, thinking that I could run a 5K in 6 weeks... I realized that the 5K would be my entire week's mileage.

So, this is sobering. 18 weeks before running 10 miles in a week. That... wow. Wow.

That is incentive to make sure to add the 0.2 this week, so that I can get to 2.4 the next week. Otherwise, I'll either be stuck doing my 1-mile runs forever, or risk injury.

That said, I'm seriously contemplating training for a triathlon. It's not worth aggravating my injury to try to train for a run too early, but focusing more on cross-training could probably do wonders in terms of keeping my cardiovascular health from slipping any more than it already has in the last few months.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger bl said...

That really seems too conservative to me.

A couch to 5-K plan would probably have you running more than that sooner than that.

That being sad, training for a triathlon would probably be a good way to get back in the swing of things and hopefully not risk reinjuring yourself.

March 06, 2009 8:13 pm  
Blogger R said...

yeah, we'll see how tomorrow goes... K thought it was too conservative, too. It's hard because most of my body is in pretty good shape, but just that hip and the stabilizer muscles still need to catch up a little more, and I don't want to fall into old, bad patterns by pushing it too soon.

At any rate, biking might be fun.

March 08, 2009 12:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home