Tuesday, September 18

Obsession

I had the runner's obsession.

When my right knee was hurt about two weeks ago and I learned that I couldn't run for a while, I became very anxious: how long do I have to wait before I can run? When can I run again? Can I run now? I was throwing those questions though I knew the answer quite well: You just can't run with an injured knee.

As days went by, my anxiety only worsened. I did cross-training: elliptical machine, swimming, and tried any decent therapy that would put me back on my running feet again.

It was quite pathetic: I was afraid I wouldn't be able to run the half-marathon. I was afraid I would be so out of shape I couldn't have a decent time. Then, I realized if I ran on the bad knee, I might be done. And I then thought there's nothing wrong for me to walk the half-marathon course. I am not training to qualify for Olympics anyway.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim Evans said...

I don’t know the nature of your injury but my advice is to
skip the half-marathon. You might volunteer instead.

It took me over twenty years of running to accept that rest and recovery (in moderation) are as important as training (in moderation).

When you are injured you feel betrayed by your body. You feel driven to will yourself well. The obsession to “stick to the plan” haunts you. I know all to well.

There is always another race to train for but you only have one body to last you a lifetime. Mine still works fairly well compared to others its age, but it is riddled with injuries that healed but never went away. For years I tried to run or race through injuries.

I can no longer experience a “pain free” run. Every injury left me a little slower.

Take my advice and let yourself heal.

September 21, 2007 9:07 am  
Blogger bl said...

I hate to disagree with Jim, but I do - partially.

I say listen to your body.

Take it easy. You're not running to win, you're running to have fun.

September 21, 2007 10:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home