Tuesday, September 18

See Amy Run

Wind It Up! -- Gwen Stefani, Sweet Escape album

I (rslight) am winding up my Chicago Marathon training. My first and only 20-mile run went well last week. It took me just under four hours (3:54) with minimal soreness. No pain or discomfort. Should I have done a 26-mile run? Another 20-mile run? Does it matter now?

Chicago heroine: One of my fellow Chicago Marathon participants is Pennsylvania welder Amy Palmiero-Winters. While I dream of just finishing, Amy wants to qualify for the U.S. Olympic Trials.
This is no ordinary fast woman. She has a prosthetic leg. Her left leg was lost after a 1994 motorcycle wreck. Amy was told she would never run again, but now she runs quicker than before. On Oct. 7, she could be the first woman with a prosthetic leg to qualify for the Olympic Trials. Check her out at www.seeamyrun.com.

Chicago book: I recommend "Crossing California" by Adam Langer, which I just finished reading. It is a tale of Jewish teenagers becoming adults in Chicago during the early 1980s. Since I'm not Jewish or from Chicago, I'm not sure how accurately it portrays the characters or locations. However, it nails the often painful experience of adolescence.

2 Comments:

Blogger R said...

one of my professors was an alternate for the Olympics in the marathon. The only advice I've gotten from him is not to run 26.2 miles in training for 26.2 miles. Run less. So 20 is better than 26.2, for training.

September 18, 2007 10:35 pm  
Blogger bl said...

You should be ready and you should be confident.

Stay well hydrated and eat well between now and then. Think positive thoughts.

Avoid negative people. Everybody keeps telling me that the taper is the best part. We'll see.

Don't forget the mental part of training. Relax and visualize yourself running strong.

It's going to be great.

September 18, 2007 10:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home