Monday, July 9

been running so fast, right from the starting line -- Go-Go's, Head Over Heels

Saturday morning, I, rslight, completed an enjoyable 5K race called the Ram Run in Owasso, Okla. I was hoping to have one of my better finish times of the year, and I did nicely with a 24:46. It was a fairly flat course through an attractive neighborhood, but heat and high humidity were factors.
I was glad to see Springfield-area runner Brent Barnett there. He was the only other Missourian among nearly 370 Oklahomans, and reached his goal of finishing with 25-minute something (25:40). Astonishingly, I even got third place in my age group and took home a nice 07-07-07 Ram mug.

Late Saturday I posted an entry here about my Ram adventure. Less than 24 hours later, in a
quick decision, I deleted the entry. The reason? I fear some people may think I'm crazy for racing so much, even in the Poetic Feet universe.

I'm not just the only runner in my family, but the only one who does anything remotely athletic in my family. My relatives are very sedentary folks, and I get odd, strange looks when I mention I'm in training for a half-marathon or marathon.
I've heard non-runners refer to a marathon as something goofy or harmful to do.
Recently I attended a party, and wanted to talk to an attractive blond woman there. I was under the foolish notion that a man running a marathon is something that might impress a woman, so I mentioned I was running the Chicago Marathon. With a blank stare, she asked me if I was training for it, or if I would just show up and run it.
Seriously. That was her question. I figure that's like going up to a high school student and asking: Are you planning on taking driver's education? Or will you just get in a car and see what happens?
One male non-runner in attendance overheard my marathon ambition, and loudly declared that anyone who would attempt to run a marathon was insane. The distance is too far, he said (after I told him what the distance was). Then he went into graphic detail on some story he heard about male marathoners bleeding from their nipples during races. I was tempted to remark that he wasn't making delightful party conversation, but I just walked away.

I guess my point is that not everyone is going to share your passion for running, to put it mildly.

5 Comments:

Blogger MS said...

You're not crazy for running too much (unless you end up injured because of it - but so far so good, knock on wood, eh?). You've just found your niche in this sport/pastime/whatever you want to call it. Some people can run 15-minute 5Ks, some people can run 100-mile ultramarathons, and some people have the guts to race every week - or more often.

Speaking of which, a little bird told me he thought he saw that the Lake Freebird Triathlon this Sunday also had a 5K listed on the signup sheet at Ridge Runner. And that there's another Sunday 5K in Columbia in a few weeks. (Actually, that one sounds pretty cool, and looking at the results from last year, it looks like mere mortals like us actually can win awards to boot. I'm considering driving up for it. Anyone else?)

I thought those tidbits might be of interest to someone who doesn't mind driving to Oklahoma for a race.

July 09, 2007 10:04 pm  
Blogger bl said...

You're not racing too much if you're having fun. It's all about what works for you.

I think about how some people go to bars every week and blow $20 or more. You're probably spending a comparable amount on running, but I bet you're having more fun in a healthier way.

And in my first marathon, I remember passing a guy - on an out and back course - who had distinct trails of blood going south from his nipples. You've got to prepare for that. Don't wear cotton and use Bodyglide.

July 10, 2007 10:40 am  
Blogger R said...

The main reason I don't run in races more often is that it's too much money--grad students can't really afford it without giving up other things, like eating out and seeing movies, altogether. And, the way the budget's going, those things are going to need to take a hit for the duration of the summer, anyway.

And well, races aside and just focusing on running: the United States wouldn't be facing such incredible rates of obesity if the majority of people understood the attraction of any kind of exercise, let alone running.

July 10, 2007 1:44 pm  
Blogger tangerine said...

Forget about that woman and that obnoxious man. Just do what you enjoy the most. I used to poke fun at MS, now I'm running, too. And I do feel good about it.

July 10, 2007 2:13 pm  
Blogger rslight said...

Thanks for the remarks.
I knew you all could cheer me up.

July 11, 2007 5:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home