Tuesday, March 14

Happy Hippy Heel Striker

So I bought a new pair of shoes today. (I would now link to the lyrics to the James Brown song where he sang "Poppa got a new pair of shoes. Huh. Hit me!" Except for one thing. I don't think that song ever existed. There is the whole brand new bag thing but that's a whole different story.)

So anyhow, I got a new pair of running shoes. They should take me through the marathon in South Bend and that is exciting.

Here's an interesting story. While I was trying on shoes, I showed the lady the soles of my shoes that I had just taken off and she said HappyHippyHeelStriker real fast. It was a Rain Man sort of moment.

I said, "Huh?"

Then she explained that I strike my heel against the ground while I run and that's fairly normal. At least normal for runners.

And then she pointed to the shoes I was trying on and the shoes next to my feet and said they'd be good. And the shoes I had on felt pretty good too so that was especially nice to hear.

So, every once in a while, it's nice to be normal. And now that I've got a new pair of shoes, I'm going to have a funky good times.

2 Comments:

Blogger R said...

What about the shoes made her say that? Do they show wear on the heels? Or did she see you run?

March 15, 2006 6:27 pm  
Blogger bl said...

The shoes definitely show wear on the heels. I showed the heels to a co-worker and she practically screamed, "Don't do that to your knees."

But the lady in the shoe store looked at my shoes and it's almost as if she could view my feet hitting the ground. She saw everything about how I run from looking at the bottom of the shoe. Slight pronation, but not too much. Fairly normal footstrike.

It was like the bottom of my shoe was her tea leaves.

March 15, 2006 11:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home