Tuesday, February 7

Big Rock Music and Little Rock Music

Committed readers will remember my first post of the year about the surprisingly inspirational Big Smith song, "No sir." You wouldn't think that a song called "No sir" would motivate you to move your feet, but it's really catchy.

Recently I picked up the album it appears on, Big Smith's classic release "Big Rock." I've been listening to the song quite a bit and I've come to the conclusion that maybe the song writer isn't fluent in Spanish. I could be wrong. But here's exhibit A. One verse of the song goes:

The only words in Spanish
On highway forty-four
Say checkpoint straight ahead
So you know who they're lookin' for
So tell me why does not one say
Bienvenidos enjoy your stay
You can't tell me that there's no other way.

"Bienvenidos, enjoy your stay." Now, I'm not really a songwriter, but half of that sentence - well one word - is in Spanish and the other half - three words - is in English. I don't mean to be too picky here, but I'm not even sure if that qualifies as Spanglish.

Anyhow, my next big run is actually going to be in the town of Little Rock - the Little Rock Half Marathon. I'm pretty excited about it and I think training is going well. And they've got the world's largest marathon finisher's medal.

My last race was in Memphis, Tennessee and that definitely lent itself to finding some good motivational music associated with the city. I don't know quite as much about Little Rock's musical heritage. If there's any Little Rock music you recommend I listen to or Little Rock music labels I should visit while down there, please leave a comment.

Thanx.

2 Comments:

Blogger R said...

Well, Bienvenidos means "welcome," so I think he's being sarcastic... he's not quoting the sign.

February 09, 2006 12:09 am  
Blogger bl said...

Of course, I was being just a big sarcastic myself. :)

February 09, 2006 10:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home