Sunday, February 5

New 5k PR

I ran a 5K on Saturday, the Run with the Big Dogs 5K, at a park near my house. It was cold. I've now learned that means there's a good chance to place well. (That's because a lot of people wimp out in the cold and the field is smaller.)

My friend Mark, who lives near the park, placed third in his age group. It was his best time and the first time he placed.
When they got to my age group, the person who finished third actually had the same first name as me. And when he went up to accept the medal, I recognized him. I saw his back for a good part of the race ... and I actually finished 4th in my age group.

I had wanted to pass somebody near the end but he was way too far ahead of me. However, somebody was right on my tail and I made sure I didn't get passed at the end.

This could be sparking unhealthy competitive fires. I remember the shirt I saw during the half-marathon in Memphis that said, "Be a completer not a competer" on the back - let me repeat, on the back. As I ran by you, don't take it too seriously, just be a completer, not a competer. Well that type of thinking doesn't really apply in a 5K race. I can't imagine too many people start a 5K wondering if they'll be able to finish it and an hour or so later your mind should be playing games with you.

Anyway, here's the really big news. In my last 5K on Dec. 10 I finished in 29:52. Saturday I finished in 28:36. That's nearly an improvement of a minute and a half.

Dedicated blog readers may remember that in that Dec. 10 5K, the Jingle Bell Run, I met my goal for 2006 of running a 5K in under 30 minutes. Maybe my goal now should be to run every 5K about 90 seconds faster than the last one. Hmmm.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your improvement.

February 06, 2006 6:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home