Sunday, December 4

Thoughts on the St. Jude Marathon

Wow. There was anamazing feeling of euphoria when I finished the half-marathon yesterday. I still feel that 13.1 miles isn't really that far.

But it was amazing to be surrounding by so many people who did the same thing, set the same goal and achieved it.

Additionally, I thought back to the most basic reason of why I run. Because I can. I loved sports and competing as a child and I was able to play.
I mean I think about those kids at the St. Jude Children's Hospital and it just boggles the mind. I could ask why and wrack my brain thinking about it or I can just be grateful about the body and the opportunities I have.
And I can run. But if I don't run, I won't be able to. The quintessential use it or lose it moment. So I've chosen to use it as much as I can. Life is short and life is strange.

Also, at the finish line, I felt on the verge of tears. Part of that was that I felt I sold myself short by not training hard enough to be able to run the whole marathon.
But also there were all the people with things on the back of their shirt about how they were running for a lost child or brother or wife. And some of the t-shirts talked about kids whose cancer is in remission.
There was a man who had the word "will" spelled out on the front of his shirt with duct tape and the words "I am a cancer survivor" on the back. Maybe Will is his name. Maybe will is his resolve.

I'm glad I ran the half-marathon. I'm glad I've got a medal. But I've now got goals. To take care of myself and run faster. To do the Sunburst Marathon on June 3 . Maybe to do the St. Jude Marathon next year.

And also to be grateful everyday for the grace I've been given and for this amazing life. Sometimes we take so much for granted that we don't realize just how extraordinary everyday is.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jody Bilyeu said...

Excellent. You inspire me. Well done.

December 05, 2005 12:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home