Thursday, November 24

The Turkey Trot — a 5K Run/Walk

Well, I ran the Turkey Trot, a 5K Run/Walk. What a diversity of people. I walked/jogged up to the starting point/staging area with my two canned goods, but I'm happy that I ran the whole race.

However, as I looked around before things were getting started, I saw all the real runners stretching, jogging and doing all these other loosening up exercises. I won't say it was intimidating, but I knew quite well that I was about as loose as I was going to be.

It reminded me of when I first started lifting weights. It was always a little embarassing to walk over to the bench press area and hoist up the 25-pound plates while everybody else was bouncing the bar off their chest, lifting 135 pounds (2 45 pounds plates) or 225 pounds (4 45 pound plates) or the huge musclebound folks that everybody in the gym turns to watch throwing up 315 (6 45-pound plates) or maxing out at 405 (8 45 pound plates).

Yeah, I felt slow. But the great thing about a 5K run/walk with thousands of people is that you're passing somebody almost the whole race. Especially if you start near the middle or the back of the pack. They really need more than one start time so all the dogs (I'm referring to four-legger animals here) can start behind all the runners.

I had a vision at the beginning too. (You may call it a spirit vision if you want. ) I was a little surprised at what some of the folks there were wearing. I can't expecting to see some old guy walk in wearing just shorts with his race number paper clipped to his chest and little streaks of blood coming down. He'd smile and say to anyone that asked, "The pain helps me run faster."

1 Comments:

Blogger bl said...

Sister Seraphique de la Martiniere once said, "I cannot support it. Bear gently with my weakness, or I shall expire under the violence of your love."

Interesting phrase - "the violence of your love."

I believe she was addressing God.

November 30, 2005 8:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home