Wednesday, November 23

When we were on Kings Avenue

The St. Jude Marathon doesn't allow headphones. Here's the blurb from their FAQ.

Why is there a "No Headphones" policy at the race?
The 'No Headphones' policy is for your safety and the safety of those around you. Not only is it a requirement of our insurance company for liability reasons, but according to the Road Runners Club of America's tips for running safety: "Don't wear headsets. Use your ears to be aware of your surroundings. Using headphones, you lose the use of an important sense: your hearing. Always stay alert and aware of what's going on around you. The more aware you are, the less vulnerable you are.

Well, this is the way I always run anyhow. But it's not like I run completely without music. Songs are always popping into my head. A Mercedes Benz drives by and next thing you know, I'm humming, "Oh Lord, won't you buy me, a Mercedes Benz. My friends all drive porsches."

Except I really want my next car to be a Mini Cooper.

But I digress. Today I was running down Kings . I'm never sure if it's Kings Lane or Kings Avenue, but it triggered a great song/chant in my mental jukebox. "Ali bumaye! Ali bumaye! Ali bumaye! Ali bumaye! Ali bumaye! Ali bumaye! Ali bumaye! Ali bumaye!"

1 Comments:

Blogger bl said...

That also reminds me of this phrase:

"When we get to Africa, we gonna get it on, because we don't get along."

November 30, 2005 8:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home