Wednesday, November 23

Racing

I was talking to my friend A about the Turkey Trot the other day. He had lots of reasons why he's not doing it.

The whole concept of paying money for something he can do for free. He doesn't need another t-shirt. For him running is mainly a solitary thing.

With that solitary thing comment, a lightbulb went off in my head. My life is way too solitary. I must race more.
I think next year I'll sign up for more 5Ks and 10Ks. Especially if, as with tomorrow's Turkey Trot, I can jog to the starting line.

Especially after last weekend. International reggae artist Prezident Brown was in town for a late night show at one of the local bars. I didn't know anybody who was going, but I love reggae. I don't however, love crowded smoky bars. I saw most of his show, but I had to leave before the end because it was just a bit much to me.

I may not meet many people while running, but at least I'll breathe easy. And if I do meet people at races, chances are they won't be smokers.

To think that a few years ago I made a New Year's Resolution to start smoking. (Sounds crazy I know. It didn't last more than a week or town.) Anyhow, this year's resolution to run a half-marathon feels much better.

And hopefully next year we'll conquer the whole enchilada.