Tuesday, November 15

Losing weight

This summer, right when I just started this running habit, I went on vacation with my parents. We went to the Black Hills and it was a good trip. But we ate out every night.

I got back, weighed myself and found that I was practically 240 pounds. This is the most I've ever weighed. Back when I was younger, I dreamed of this sort of thing. I went on a couple of dates once with a girl as sweet as Royal Crown cola. But I wasn't the only guy she dated and ultimately she decided she liked a guy who was like twice my size. Maybe the size thing wasn't the only reason, but I was young and insecure. And also I'm a guy so I'm trained to think that size matters.

Anyway, I'm older and not quite as insecure as I once was. I'm also trying to get in shape and when I got back from vacation, I kept on with my running and tried to go longer and just generally improve fitness and endurance.

Well, the last time I weighed myself, the scales came in around 220. This is good. Although I also recently learned that in the epic first fight between Cassius Clay and Sonny Liston, this was the tale of the tape: Sonny Liston, 215 pounds, 6'1"; Cassius Clay, 206 pounds, 6'3". Now I'm 6'3" and 220 and I don't think I should weight more than a heavyweight champion if I'm going to be in shape and be a runner.

But also I don't want to lose too much weight and have people think I look sickly or something. Some of my pants don't fit anymore.

But losing weight I guess is a byproduct of running long distances. Hopefully it should all go smoothly. I know in the grand scheme of things, it's harder to lose weight or keep it off then to avoid the middle age spread. And how much of this is just vanity?

I don't know. As long as all I have to complain about though is losing weight, I have to admit that God is blessing me. I am thankful for that.

4 Comments:

Blogger R said...

So, if 6'1" and 215 is a heavyweight, and you're 6'3" and 220... that sounds about right. But if you're going to float like a butterfly and sting like a bee, maybe 14.

(And hey, this entering letters to prove I'm not a computer is hard... I got the first one wrong so I'm back again...)

November 16, 2005 4:58 pm  
Blogger bl said...

Well, I feel like I'm still a little flabby and out-of-shape, despite the running I've done. And also I wonder how low I'll go.

there's that issue of not being happy about losing weight and the whole skinny/scrawny appearance that I'd like to avoid a bit.

November 17, 2005 11:47 am  
Blogger R said...

Are you lifting weights, too? Eating lots of protein? It's okay to be kind of skinny if it's muscle, right?

November 17, 2005 7:56 pm  
Blogger bl said...

Well, I am doing a wee bit of weight lifting. And I'm eating protein and starting to enjoy salmon.

And I do have good muscles.

I don't know that anybody ever notices, but that's OK. I don't hvae the opportunity to go to the beach as often as you do.

And I'm OK with my body. Really. I realize I'll never have the body of a football star, but I'm in good shape.

I can't complain. Lots of people would love to be my size.

November 17, 2005 9:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home