Tuesday, February 12

So Much for the LA Marathon

It's official: my knee injury has sidelined me for the L.A. Marathon that I was supposed to have run on March 2. For the moment, I am going to be engaged in physical therapy and several weeks worth of cross-training and/or short (no more than 5 mile) runs until the significant inflammation in some tendon or other is reduced. Oh, and I am to stay away from tracks. Apparently the 160 laps (= 640 turns) on the OSU Rec Center's indoor track wasn't particularly healthy for my knee.

The good news is that the doctors at the OSU Sports Medicine clinic have no reason whatsoever to think that the injury will have any long-term consequences. And they'd even like to use the upcoming physical therapy as a way to wean me off of my knee braces permanently. Which is good, because right now the knee brace only seems to be making things worse, by putting unnecessary pressure on my inflamed tendon.

The moral of the story: if you think you need to do a long run, and it's too cold outside, the indoor track is not the answer.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger bl said...

Clearly this is disappointing, but at least there's good news also, especially in regards to the knee braces.

I remember when I first started thinking about running a marathon, I asked my doctor if I should use knee braces because I'd had some knee pain. He said no, that knee braces would only make my knees weak and not allow them to get stronger.

So, hopefully these Ohio State physical therapists will hopefully help your knees get stronger. And you're still young, right? Stronger knees should mean faster times.

Of course your moral of the story also brings up another question - which is more boring - an indoor track or a treadmill.

Good luck with your recovery.

February 12, 2008 4:36 pm  
Blogger KWK said...

I think a treadmill is more boring, which is why I chose the track in the first place for my long indoor run. But alas, the track, too, was immensely boring.

It's amazing how much improved my mindset is after having made definitive plans with the doctor. Moving to "recovering" from "just not training" makes all the difference in the world.

February 12, 2008 10:55 pm  
Blogger R said...

I think that tracks are more boring than treadmills. I like to mess with the buttons on treadmills. And the treadmills at the gym point at some televisions, so I watch the news.

The track feels more like running, but I really, really dislike turning the same direction all the time.

February 12, 2008 10:59 pm  
Blogger Marathon Man said...

Sorry to hear you won't be making it out. Injuries are a bummer. I had an ankle injury a few weeks ago, but turned out to be nothing. Good luck on the recivery. Maybe Roxk 'n Roll in SD in a few monthe?

February 23, 2008 10:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home