Saturday, October 13

Settling In

Though I'm only about 25% unpacked from my move to Columbus, I have managed to get my priorities straightened out: I got in an 11-1/2 mile run this afternoon, my longest since the Vegas Marathon in 2005.
I was a bit worried about running the Columbus 1/2 Marathon next weekend, so the run today was really just to make sure that I could still handle that distance. My pace was a little bit more erratic than I would have liked, but it was still respectable overall. Running past the 'Shoe (Ohio State's football stadium) while there was a game going on was quite interesting. I could hear the stadium's announcer for several miles, even when the stadium was completely out of sight. The crowd was apparently pretty tame, though. I guess it wasn't worth getting all worked up when you're beating up on the other team by 40-some-odd points. There were also hundreds of tailgaters scattered throughout all of the parking lots along the route--fortunately, they were staying off the sidewalks for the most part. Since the game was already underway, the crowds were a lot more manageable than they otherwise could have been.

Other parts of the run were really nice too. Running along the Olentangy River reminded me a bit of Back Bay. I'm looking forward to getting farther along the path beside the river in the future--I read somewhere it's supposed to be at least 14 miles long, which should mean lots of different scenery along the way.
There were a good number of other runners out as well, and my route was circuitous enough that I encountered the same people several times. I wonder if the running population will drop off precipitously after the marathon next week. Even if it doesn't in the next few months we'll all have to find some way of running in zero degrees and a foot of snow. Any suggestions?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger bl said...

Ohio State was playing Kent State. There's really no reason for them to play a team like that.

They're a so-called elite school, but they should play a tougher schedule.

I'm a wee bit disappointed that Notre Dame starts off the year next season against San Diego State.

Elite teams should stick to playing elite competition.

But it does sound like you had a nice scenic, enjoyable run.

October 13, 2007 5:23 pm  
Blogger R said...

For running in cold weather:

1) put on your regular running gear
2) come visit me
:)

October 14, 2007 12:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home