Wednesday, October 10

Marathon thoughts, random marathon thoughts

I feel like I should post something about my Minnesota marathon experience.

I've had a lot of thoughts. The most uniquely mine, I suppose, is did I go out too slow? I won't get into the logic of that. Not today at least.

Shortly after finishing the marathon, I hopped on a place to a journalism conference in Philadelphia. I made the decision not to have any connecting flights and that was smart. Too bad there are no direct flights from Philadelphia to Springfield.

I'm not going to complain about air travel, but today was one day when I thought that perhaps however much it might have cost for first class would have been worth it.

Sigh.

Anyway, I suppose the heat bothered me on Sunday. It bothered everybody. I can be thankful I wasn't in Chicago.

I know this is crazy, but I want to go out much faster and more confident in my next race. I was confident on Sunday, but I heard someone near me at the beginning talk about how dangerous it is to get pulled into starting too fast. And I just can't help but wonder if I did the opposite and started way too slow. Perhaps this is madness and I'm still exhausted after a very tiring, but good, conference in Philadelphia.

I am glad that I didn't waste energy trying to dodge people and making a lot of lateral moves trying to open up my stride early on. The plan was to run a strong first half and a stronger second half. But it got way too hot for that. I ended up walking through water stations and dousing myself with water. Four or five cups of water on my head.

I remember at one spot shortly before crossing the Mississippi, some folks were passing out cold beer. That's crazy.

I remember feeling a little light-headed at one point early on as I heard a band playing Cecilia by Simon and Garfunkel and remembering Notre Dame. Was that euphoria or was that a warning sign that it was getting way too hot?

I guess now it's back to the drawing board. My legs are still a bit sore. I definitely need to rest.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you.

I like hearing running stories. If I had more motivation, I might go out, run something, and share my story.

Until then, I'll ride on your coat tails and dream of the Mighty Mississippi telling me to press onward.

October 10, 2007 8:47 pm  
Blogger bl said...

Anonymous - if you are who I think you are, thanks for waiting around at the end of the race to see me finish.

I don't know if you saw me but I kind of waved and shrugged my shoulders.

I always envision myself sprinting toward the finish, but Sunday I was hobbling toward the finish. Not the kick I imagine for myself.

But thanks for your support.

You've got your own stories and your own adventures.

Weren't you doing something amazing in Boston this summer?

October 10, 2007 9:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, that was another one of your many fans. THIS is the person you think it was, and I was thrilled to cheer for you. J and I did see you wave, shrug, and smile. If I write something about the marathon, etc, might you put it on Poetic Feet? I have some musings...Cambridge was marvelous, and an incredible opportunity. I'll tell you about it sometime...

October 11, 2007 10:32 pm  
Blogger bl said...

Certainly, I'd post it up here.

Just e-mail me at ochobl@yahoo.com

October 11, 2007 10:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home