Saturday, August 25

Two ways of looking at this morning's race

This morning I ran the Hot'n'Hilly Powerhouse 10K.

Two ways of looking at the race.

First would be the positive way which makes the most sense. Last year I ran the race in 58:16. This year I ran the race in 53:48. That's more than four minutes faster. Awesome!

It would make a lot of sense to view the race that way.

But that's not the way I see it.

I shouldn't run a 10K in more than 50 minutes, period. I'm a bit disappointed in my effort. I ran the first mile in 7:30 and then faded bad. This is unacceptable. (This is just a wee bit over the top. I'm half-joking.)

Anyhow, I live about a mile away from the intersection of Kansas Expressway and Walnut. But I know how to make that two miles and so when I got home I ran two miles to that intersection, with the last 2 tenths of a mile being a steep downhill.

And then I did five hill repeats. A gentle reminder that I've got to work harder to get faster. Maybe not a gentle reminder. A reminder, nonetheless. And I love the hills. One of the best things about the race was that on most of those significant hills, I passed people.

Unfortunately, I didn't pass Jim Evans. But his time will come. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim Evans said...

Unless you quit trying, you will finish ahead of me someday. It may not be on the same course on the same day (but I hope it is), but you will finish the race in less time than Jim Evans. I told you before the race that today was not the day.

You went out too fast, but you still posted an excellent pr for the course. Today was my day. I have run the Hot-n-Hilly 10K four times since 2002. Today, I shattered my previous pr by two minutes in one of the most satisfying performances I have had in five years.

…Maybe next time.

Note: This is the first time I have run this course in under 50 mintues.

August 25, 2007 2:08 pm  
Blogger bl said...

Another way of looking at this race. If I'd met my goal of running a 50 minute 5K, I would have placed third in my age group. As it was, I placed fifth.

A time of 50:25 would have earned me a trophy. Yet on this day, all I could muster was a 53:48.

My goal is 50 minutes.

August 27, 2007 9:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home