Sunday, February 11

Pan's Labyrinth

Spoiler alert, perhaps ---

Well, I just saw Pan's Labyrinth. Amazing film.

A blog post over at the Middle Path warned of a spoiler alert, so I didn't see one.

Let me suffice to say that there is a twist that could be spoiled and you more or less could see it coming a mile away if you were looking for it. But, why look? The story is so beautifully told that it doesn't quite matter. You're not trying to figure it out, you're just watching and being carried along on a wonderful journey.

And I can't decide if the movie had a happy ending or not.

What do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Vajra said...

Ocho, I put up the *Spoiler Alert* because Rachel doesn't like to know ANYTHING about a movie she hasn't seen. I also had intended to write more about the movie, but didn't. So that's what I'm saying and I'm sticking to it.

February 12, 2007 11:35 am  
Blogger middleclasstool said...

The ending was open-ended, I thought. There are two ways to interpret



***SPOILER ALERT***



the girl's death scene. Either (a) no one else could see the faun because they're not of that world, and her "death" was only to this world, a necessary transport to the underground kingdom, or (b) it was all in her head.

I like that it's left open to us to decide. I like that, regardless of which ending is true, she finds peace. I like that the baby is given a new life before it even knows it needs one.

Dark though it is and somber too, there is hope in the ending, and just enough ambiguity for those who choose to believe. It's sort of like the girl's choice: childhood innocence, or the jaded "realism" of the adult world?

February 14, 2007 12:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home