Thursday, January 11

Three days

This time tomorrow, I'll be getting ready to board the plane to Phoenix. It feels like the end of 2006. I want to write, "My, what a year it's been."

Getting to the starting line is always an adventure in itself. And my mind is in a million different places, it seems. Which is pointless, because there's nothing I can do except wait for the race to start and run well.

I've got a tentative race plan that determines on how I feel Sunday morning. I do want to break four hours and put in a good effort. But I also want to run smart and enjoy myself every step of the way.

The big thing I keep reminding myself of is that I get the privilege and the joy of running a marathon. I've done the work and now cheerleaders and rock bands await. I know the elite runners barely even notice the course and the distractions and are just focused on running their fastest times. I learned a lot in Santa Fe.

But for me, this weekend will be about reveling in the joy of being surrounded by so many other people. And hopefully passing quite a few of them in the last six miles also.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're all so proud of you! Enjoy it--even, dare I say it, the pain. Can't wait to hear how it goes...

January 11, 2007 4:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home